Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Joshua Tree House

So for those of you who haven't heard it a thousand times, I've become fascinated with the High Desert area around Joshua Tree, Twentynine Palms and Wonder Valley. There is a sense of connection, freedom and openness that I find here. It's the warmth of the locals and other visitors who are less guarded here than elsewhere. It's the warmth of the weather that is dry and surprisingly cool at night. It's the creative energy that is expressed here and becomes infectious to those attuned to it. I also realized last year, it reminds me of my roots and connections in South Africa (see Nieu Bethesda and Prince Albert posts below).



Well, I've finally arrived for a period to explore my ideas, tap into the creative energies and produce some of my own work. I'm staying in a great cabin up on the mountain near the entrance to the Joshua Tree National Monument. The cabin has other studios attached (note to visitors) and a main house below, and is set in a lovely "garden" consisting of pines, cactus and bric a brac in the Desert style. It is also set against a dramatic backdrop of rocky mountain ridges that draws climbers and tourists the world over.












It's a wonderful time to be here - still a bit cool - when the Desert is blooming. I took a drive down to Iron Age Road deep in Wonder Valley and saw fields of flowers that scented the air in an unexpected way. The flowers will gradually reach the higher altitudes and I look forward to seeing them from the patio. I also saw some strange "installations" consisting of military-style artifacts and the remnants of some structure now used for target practice (pics below).




One of the great contrasts of the area is the fact that Twentynine Palms is home to the world's largest Marine Corp's base. This brings a certain military edge to the area although the base glints off in the distance and is almost entirely self-contained. Some local JT residents are singers who voice protest songs on the weekend and earn some bucks acting as Iraqi civilians in mock exercises during the week.



I have been quite busy settling in and kicking into gear on the upcoming HIV Law Project Spring Benefit Exhibition which takes place on June 2 at the Moti Hasson Gallery in Chelsea, NYC. Consider yourselves invited! I'm psyched to get going on my collages again and have touched base with Gretchen Grunt at the 29 Palms Creative Center to set up some time for exploring how they might translate to print. Gretchen is the first person I met out here and a font of warmth, creativity and fun! Social life has already kicked into gear too, I'm meeting some new folks and reconnecting with others. Gallery openings over the next few weeks, regular movies down at the Beatnik Cafe, yoga the gym and various other distractions are all available.

Stay tuned (subscribe through the Atom link at the very bottom of the page) and,as my friend Shari Elf always says: " something good is gonna happen to you today, why not right now"?!

2 comments:

Dici B said...

Oh my gosh, this is so A W S O M E.
Can't wait to come visit!!!
xxxxooooo

Matthewk said...

Fabulous blog, B.

Keep me posted

I am very, very envious

M