Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Bar, an AA Meeting and Beatniks

So what do these all have in common? Creativity.

First off, the bar. Pappy and Harriets Palace is a local institution located in Pioneertown. So much in one sentence. The palace is part bar, part restaurant, part OK corral and one stonking music venue. Pioneertown is a former Wild West movie set now inhabited by pioneers of a different sort.




I went up there on Sunday evening to hear the thriftstore allstars play - a regular Sunday evening gig. I leaned against a wall and bopped to the music until someone taped me on the shoulder. It was Randy Palumbo accompanied by Shari Elf, both of the venerable Art Queen art complex in Joshua Tree. They hit the floor swinging and I soon warmed up to bopping the night away.

Now all I drank that evening was grapefruit juice and seltzer, my new regular tipple. Nevertheless, I felt called to my first AA meeting today. Arts Anonymous that is, a national association for artists that supports and furthers creativity using the 12 step process. The session was held at the Art Queen and led by Shari. A wonderful hour of affirmations, sharing and committing to the week ahead. Thanks Shari.



Lastly, Beatnik, as in Beatnik Cafe. Wednesdays see a popular open mike at Beatnik where locals of all varieties display their musical talents. I went this evening for the first time and watched a wonderful array of singers, young and old. There was also some comedy from a self-termed cowdyke, political heckling whenever the subject of the nearby marine base was mentioned and a surprising recontextualization of a romantic song by a young marine. These are the wonderful contradictions of life in the California desert.

No comments: