Thanksgiving in London is not so obvious. Until you remember that it was Thanksgiving Day 1990 when Thatcher finally gave up and resigned. And until you consider that in 2008 it coincided with Emma Kentridge's 6th birthday. So off I went, bearing pirate paraphernalia and no chocolate as per household instructions.
It was a great few days including:
1. Birthday shenanigans with swashbuckling Emma and Lex
2. Catching up with Sally and Paul at Imagination's HQ
3. A 2 hour, 2 course lunch at Pied a Terre. The City banker next to me was not amused at the pace. I loved the theater of it all.
4. Francis Bacon at the Tate, with my good friend Ana Sanchez. Some surprises in the show and from her.
5. Lunch at the Tate Modern with Marcus, Satomi and friends followed by the eye-opening Cildo Meireles show. Walking through talcum powder a foot deep in the dark was sublime. The Unilever Series installation by Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster was mystifying although the huge Bourgeois and Calder replicas were impressive.
6. Emma's Peter Pan and Pirates party extravaganza - great cappucino and mini burgers to my surprise
7. Dinner and a catch up the the OXO Tower with Simon Yates
8. Lovely meals and chats with Janet and Matthew
Lots to give thanks for indeed.